My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://hungryhungryhilly.wordpress.com
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

No Name or Puns Needed

This weekend was the first annual Family Day in Ontario, so I decided to head home and actually spend it with family.  Because my Mom knows I like cooking she had a Rachael Ray magazine saved for me to read.

A few times on this blog I have taken a Rachael Ray recipe and made it healthier.  But when I found this one, I realized it didn't really need any adjusting.  And it is suitable for vegetarians, which makes my mom happy.  It made me happy because I wasn't able to go grocery shopping this weekend and the only vegetable I had left in my fridge upon my return to the city were shallots.  

I divided the recipe in half so that I didn't have an over abundance, but here I offer the full version.  It so damn easy and really really tasty.  Buy good ingredients and show case them here if you have the occasion.

I refuse, though, to use her cutesy title (That's Shallotta Flavor Spaghetti).  I offer it up to you to name.

"Insert Recipe Title Here"
From Everyday with Rachael Ray, March 2008

1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
10 shallots, halved and thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped (I used the minced kind in the jar, again working with what i gots)
Salt and Pepper
1 pound whole wheat spaghetti
1 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese (use could also use Light Parmesean)
1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley (I had to use dried, so I used less)

1. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium low heat.  Add the shallots and garlic; season with salt and pepper.  Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and golden, 20 minutes (though mine took less time, keep an eye on it).

2.  While the shallots are cooking, bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the spaghetti and cook until al dente.  Pour 3 ladlefuls of the pasta cooking water into the cooked shallots and stir.  Drain the pasta and add to the shallots.  Add the cheese and parsley, season with salt and pepper and toss.

No comments: