My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://hungryhungryhilly.wordpress.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, February 25, 2008

And the Winner is...


Last night's Oscar ceremony was the first time in year's that I actually really cared about the awards, generally I just care about having or going to an Oscar party.

At the somewhat last minute I asked my friend Avery if she and her husband Ian would like to watch the Oscars.  Avery wasn't so sure Ian would be too interested in the ceremony, but then I had a stroke of culinary genius (modest much?).  Ian and I would both make appetizers and have a little cooking show down. 

Ian is one of the few people I know who is as interested in food as I am.  I knew he wouldn't disappoint.  Frankly, he kicked my ass (but then again I did have to travel with my appetizers, so I was somewhat limited in my scope).  However, I am nothing if not humble and I admit when the better person has won, just as so many other Canadian women did last night.
My Rachael Ray Mini Corn Dogs were cute but a pain to make.  They were also damn tasty and good for soaking up the copius amounts of sparkling wine we consumed.

I asked Ian to give me the recipe of the dish he liked the best.  Out of Black Bean Dip with Fried Tortilla Chips (homemade), Chicken and Green Onion Skewers and Crab Cakes, it was ultimately the Crab Cakes that won out.  You'll find his recipe below.
Some props to Ave who provided us with the baguette and Leslieville Cheese Dip you see below.  Spicy Mexican Smoked Mozzarella Dip to be exact.  If you are ever in Leslieville I can not encourage you enough to check out the Cheese Market.
Ian's Flay (as in Bobby) Inspired Crab Balls with Basil Aioli
Yields 8-10 Crab Balls

2 Cans PC Crab Meat (always pick over for shells)
1/2 red onion
2 cloves garlic minced
1 jalapeno diced and seeded
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 1/2 tbl spoons of whole grain mustard
1/4 cup prepared horseradish
2-4 tbl spoons of whole wheat flour
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
1 teaspoon ancho chile powder
1 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
2-4 cups peanut oil

1.  Saute onion, jalapeno and garlic until soft (5-10 min) set aside to cool.
2. In mixing bowl add crab meat, mayo, mustard and horseradish together.  Mix well to break up crab meat into fine strands.
3.  Add jalapeno, onion and garlic when cooled - mix well.
4.  Slowly add flour (1 tbl spoon at a time) until mixture is thick and could be manipulated into ball form.
5. Refrigerate mixture for 1 hour up to 1 day.
6. Roll balls into size of golf balls.
7.  In a seperate bowl combine bread crumbs with ancho and chipotle chile powders.  Roll balls in bread crumb mixture until they are well covered on all sides.
8. Heat peanut oil to frying temperature (375 degrees)
9.  Fry crab balls for 5 minutes or until a deep golden browl.  Serve with basil aioli.

Basil Aioli

1 cup mayo
1 tbl spoon whole grain mustard
1 garlic clove finely minced
20 - 25 basil leaves
1 teaspoon lemon juice

1.  Blanche basil leaves in boiling water for 30 seconds.  Shock with ice water to cool rapidly.
2.  Finely chop the basil.
3.  Whisk together all ingredients.
4.  Serve immediately.


No comments: