My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://hungryhungryhilly.wordpress.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Liar Liar Shrimp on Fire!



There really isn't anything quicker to make in the food world than shrimp. So odd and unappetizing when raw, it turns this beautiful shade of pink so quickly you forget the awful greyness of moments before.

I was looking for a recipe to make when Kinnon came over for dinner last week, I poured through several recipes and then I found it. An old favourite from the Jamie Oliver's Happy Days with the Naked Chef. A shrimp recipe, which is essentially shrimp, garlic, ginger, lemon, parsley and small red chili's, with bread for dipping in the sauce. I highlight this because pepper selection is important when you are cooking a protein that essentially absorbs the flavour of what it is cooked in. They didn't have small red chili's at the grocery store I went to. They did however have habanero peppers. The hottest freakin peppers in the world.

Originally I had cut up two for the recipe, then I decided to taste a bit of pepper just to see how hot it was. My mouth swelled up momentarily and then the burn started. DEAR GOD. Needless to say I fished out nearly half of the chopped up pepper. My hands burned all night and next day.

Lesson learned.

This really is going somewhere recipe wise.

I had lots of left over frozen shrimp and had a craving for a shrimp sandwich. Since the Cajun Corner is sadly leaving my neighbourhood I decided to throw together something, taking Jamie's recipe as my inspiration.

Hilly's Non-habanero Shrimp Sandwich
Makes Enough for 2 Sandwich's (bring one to work the next day!)

16 Large Shrimp (uncooked)
2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
1/2 thumb size piece of ginger, peeled and finely chopped
2 tablespoons of olive oil
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
Asian Chili Sauce to Taste
Baguette (1 loaf),

1. Heat the Oliver oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, ginger and shrimp, cook approximately 3-4 minutes until shrimp are pink.

2. Add lemon juice and stir.

3. Add Chili sauce and stir.

4. Cut the baguette in half to make two big sandwich buns. Slice in half and pile on the shrimp equally on each sandwich*

Serve!

*If you are going to bring a sandwich to work the next day wrap the baguette in plastic wrap and pack the shrimp separately (so that it doesn't make the bread soggy).

No comments: